By Bonnie Braendlin, Hans Braendlin
Recognized students within the fields of literature and picture handle the problems of authority and transgression as sociocultural phenomena, discussing such themes as female and male sexuality, socioeconomic formations, heritage and fable, the relative energy of fictionality, style, canon formation, cinematic conventions, and conventions of educational discourse.
Read Online or Download Authority and transgression in literature and film PDF
Similar gay & lesbian books
This quantity provides a variety of contributions that examine the cultural, sociological and communicative importance of tears and crying in Graeco-Roman antiquity. The papers hide the time from the 8th century BCE till overdue antiquity and keep in mind a wide number of literary genres reminiscent of epic, tragedy, historiography, elegy, philosophical texts, epigram and the unconventional.
This e-book contributes to a severe knowing of ways chinese language same-sex id in city China is variously imagined; the way it is reworked; and the way it provides its resistances as China maintains to speak in confidence international strength kinfolk. both vital, the e-book will 1) sharpen wisdom of China’s fresh socio-economic switch and political schedule, 2) construct a better knowledge of chinese language cultural, sexual and moral values and three) supply new views on ‘Chineseness’ and chinese language same-sex id.
It is a pre-1923 old replica that was once curated for caliber. caliber insurance used to be carried out on every one of those books in an try to eliminate books with imperfections brought by way of the digitization procedure. notwithstanding we've got made top efforts - the books can have occasional blunders that don't hamper the interpreting adventure.
In Anthropology and Social conception the award-winning anthropologist Sherry B. Ortner attracts on her longstanding curiosity in theories of cultural perform to reconsider key techniques of tradition, company, and subjectivity for the social sciences of the twenty-first century. The seven theoretical and interpretive essays during this quantity each one recommend reconfiguring, instead of leaving behind, the concept that of tradition.
- Free Comrades: Anarchism and Homosexuality in the United States 1895-1917
- Nietzsche’s Gay Science: Dancing Coherence
- Ko te Whenua te Utu / Land Is the Price: Essays on Maori History, Land and Politics
- A Poetics of Forgiveness: Cultural Responses to Loss and Wrongdoing
Extra info for Authority and transgression in literature and film
2. New York Times, December l, 1992, B-3. 3. One of the running jokes in William Burroughs's Naked Lunch is the pun on Queens, as a borough and as a gay male identity/role. 4. Leslea[Lesléa] Newman, Heather Has Two Mommies, illus. Diana Souza (Boston: Alyson Wonderland Book, 1989). 5. Michael Willhoite, Daddy's Roommate (Boston: Alyson Wonderland Book, 1990). 6. In English we inflect "to transgress" only in the active voice: I transgress, you transgress, he/she/it transgresses, we transgress, you transgress, they transgress.
13. In a telephone conversation with me, January 26, 1993. 14. Neil Bartlett, Ready to Catch Him Should He Fall (New York: Dutton, 1991, copyright 1990), hereafter cited in the text as RC. 15. It is possible that Mother is a drag queen, but it does not matter to the novel whether she is or not. On the role of the diva in gay male culture, see Wayne Koestenbaum, The Queen's Throat: Opera, Homosexuality, and the Mysteries of Desire (New York: Poseidon, 1993). 16. In Morse and Larkin, 3. Page 23 3 Reception, Representation, and the O K Corral: Shifting Images of Wyatt Earp William Luhr On September 6, 1955, The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp premiered on the ABC television network.
Tomasulo (Georgia State University) 78 8. Entrepreneurs and "Family Values" in the Postwar Film Jack Boozer, Jr. (Georgia State University) 89 9. The Apocalyptic Fantasy of Armando Ramírez: Crónica de los chorrocientos mil días del barrio de Tepito Mary Tyler (Richards High School, Tallahassee, Florida) 103 10. Heart of Darkness and Apocalypse Now: Reflectors of a Precarious Social Knowledge Preston Whaley (Florida State University) 111 Page vi 11. Working for the Company: Patriarchal Legislation of the Maternal in Alien3 Mark G.